Friday, September 23, 2011

Professions

     I think I've always known I want to go into a profession involving art. My main interests currently are writing, photography, and film directing, editing, and production. But, not until today did I realize that what I thought I wanted my job to be, isn't right.
     I thought graphic design would be the job for me. I took a graphics class a few years back and loved it, so I decide to take one this year as well. Turns out, it's not really my thing. As I looked around my class to see what my peers were creating, I saw one piece that was just amazing. A boy who I'd never heard speak before, was creating a masterful piece of work. The craftsmanship was impeccable. I was memorized by his work. A girl sitting next to him is a true designer. She was working using a grid on the screen, carefully planning out where she would place shapes.
     I looked back at my work. Nothing special. Nothing new. Nothing designed. Nothing created. Boring. I felt an emptiness inside me, not sad, not angry, just as though I lost something. But now that I've thought about it, I've actually gained a lot. Now I know that this isn't what I want to do in life. I want something more, something I've always loved to do. Maybe film, maybe photography.
     But, recently, I was told I am a natural teacher. I've always enjoyed being around little kids, and writing is a passion of mine. Who knows? Maybe I'll be an English teacher.
     This post is a little out of the blue. But it got me thinking. Today showed me what I truly enjoy doing and that I've been wrong for about a year now as to what I wanted to do in life. And that is perfectly okay.

Just some thoughts from behind the lenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment