Sunday, December 4, 2011

Geometry and up; useful, or useless?

     I've never really enjoyed math. It's never a profession I considered going in to, and for the most part, I think most of the math teachings in our educational system is useless. I'm not just saying this because I don't enjoy math.
     Think about it. Aside from your studies or schoolwork, how often do you use algebra, geometry, calculus, etc.? Unless you're in a math-centered profession, personally, I don't think most of the math we learn in our school-lives is useful.
     Sure fractions and percentages are useful, but when, in your daily life, are you going to need to know point-slope intercept or the circumference of a circle? Hardly ever.
     I don't want to bash math or the educational system, but maybe school's time and money could be spent better.

Just some thoughts from behind the lenses.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very good point and I've heard it argued many times before. My geometry teacher defended proofs by saying that they teach students deductive and inductive reasoning, that is, logic, and a way of thinking. Even though we won't be proving triangles congruent later in life, we will be using the same logic we used for triangles to prove something, decipher and understand something you don't, make choices, etc. Many different types of math focus on different ways of thinking. I believe we can use these ways of thinking in situations other than math class.

    Love your thoughts from behind the lenses! I have pondered this subject as well.

    ReplyDelete